January is National Soup Month! And Main Course Market is here with a delicious soup recipe to get you through those cold winter days! Whether you’re looking for catering in MA, prepared meals, or a butcher shop with quality cuts, Main Course Market has it covered, and more!
Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
Now, this isn’t just any traditional soup, we’re kicking it up a notch and using leftover chicken skin for croutons. Stick around and find out how to make them! All these ingredients combined make for a nutritious soup to eat throughout those cold winter months!
- One pound of bone-in chicken thighs (with chicken skin)
- 1 ½ chopped red onion
- One cup of rinsed wild rice
- 4 ounces of finely chopped shiitake mushrooms
- Two bay leaves
- Four chopped cloves of garlic
- Two chopped stalks of celery
- One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Two large chopped carrots
- Three cups of freshly cut or shredded kale (up to your preference)
- Six cups of water
- 1 ½ russet potatoes (cut into cubes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dill for garnishing
- Remove the skin from the chicken thighs and set them aside for later. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, or other preferred seasonings for extra flavor.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add a bit of olive oil and place the skins in the pot. Make sure that they lay flat. Cook until they’re crispy and golden. This should take approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Once skins are cooked, remove them from the pot and lay them on a plate lined with paper towels. Season with a bit of salt and pepper, or garlic salt. Once they’re cool, you can cut them into smaller pieces.
- In the same pot over medium heat, add the chopped onions and cook until they’re slightly brown.
- Once the onions are cooked, add in the chopped celery, mushrooms, and minced garlic. Cook until the ingredients are a bit softened. This should take around 6 minutes.
- Pour the water into the pot, along with the bay leaves and one teaspoon of salt. Bring everything to a boil.
- Add the wild rice to the boiling water and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and cook for approximately 18 to 20 minutes.
- Add in the chopped carrots and potatoes and chicken thighs to the pot. Cover and let it simmer for another 20 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Once the chicken is cooked and the rice is tender, remove the pot from the heat and add the kale.
- Remove the chicken to shred it and add it back into the pot.
- Garnish with fresh dill and top with “croutons” and enjoy!
Choose Main Course Market for Catering in MA and More!
At Main Course Market, we can guarantee you’ll find what you’re looking for. Whether you need a local butcher shop, prepared meals, seafood, or even catering in MA, you won’t be disappointed! If you’re interested in our catering options, we encourage you to check us out online for more information! Until then, we look forward to hearing from you!